Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Innovators for a sustainable ocean: World Ocean Week 2020
As the United Nations put the global spotlight on ‘innovation for a sustainable ocean’, the University’s Marine Institute reflected on the innovative approaches our researchers take towards sustainable marine resource management.
From offshore renewable energy to coastal resilience, the National Marine Park to plastics, we reflected on our role in securing a healthier, protected future for our oceans.
During the week, a number of our marine conservation researchers led events that brought together global experts to inform future policy recommendations.
The Queen's Anniversary Prize for pioneering research on marine microplastics pollution and its impact on the environment and changing behaviour
Nearly two decades of world-leading research into the effects of marine plastics on our environment by Plymouth researchers, led by Professor Richard Thompson OBE, has received the highest honour that can be bestowed upon a higher education institution.
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
Projects, people and papers
Search open access papers
Research activity by school
- Simple way of ‘listening’ to chicks could dramatically improve welfare 10 June 2020
- Scientists warn against ‘greenwashing’ of global coastal developments 9 June 2020
- Climate change has degraded productivity of shelf sea food webs 8 June 2020
- Inspiring students create third issue of health research journal 2 June 2020
- Sea snakes have been adapting to see underwater for 15 million years 28 May 2020
Upcoming academic and research events
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 1 July 2020 11:00 - 11:45
- PRIMaRE Conference 2020 (VIRTUAL CONFERENCE) 7 July 2020 - 8 July 2020
- CONTROL2020 6 July 2020 - 8 July 2020
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 15 July 2020 11:00 - 11:45
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 29 July 2020 11:00 - 11:45